About Me

My photo
Montana, United States
Welcome to my blog! This is where I kind of ramble and try to say something of use every now and again. A little bit about myself. I'm a Christian. God is the most important thing to me. I believe in His son Jesus Christ. I was born and raised in Montana. I count my blessings. Growing up in a family of 10, milking goats, plowing gardens, hiking mountains. .. good times I like broadcasting (currently I work at a radio station). I'm interested in photography, sign language, music (I play piano and guitar), film-making, and crazy adventures. I thank God every day for my family and friends!

Friday, October 23, 2009

Bible Version Debate

Somebody asked me about Bible Versions. So here's some information that I found. Basically, it's a text issue. I think that people should study the two different texts from which all versions originate. The KJV is the only translation from the Textus Receptus and all the others are from the Codex Sinaiticus. Anyway, I've tried to find some easy to understand information about this topic. First of all, I don't see anything wrong with going back to the original Greek to understand something a little bit more clearly and I do NOT believe that everyone who uses a different versino is going to hell. I believe the KJV is the most accurate translation, but I believe that God can use other versions to speak to people.

Consider these facts and oddities relating to the Codex Sinaiticus:

  1. The Sinaiticus was written by three different scribes and was corrected later by several others. (This was the conclusion of an extensive investigation by H.J.M. Milne and T.C. Skeat of the British Museum, which was published in Scribes and Correctors of Codex Sinaiticus, London, 1938.) Tischendorf counted 14,800 corrections in this manuscript (David Brown, The Great Uncials, 2000). Dr. F.H.A. Scrivener, who published A Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus in 1864 testified: "The Codex is covered with alterations of an obviously correctional character—brought in by at least ten different revisers, some of them systematically spread over every page, others occasional, or limited to separate portions of the manuscript, many of these being contemporaneous with the first writer, but for the greater part belonging to the sixth or seventh century." Thus, it is evident that scribes in bygone centuries did not consider the Sinaiticus to represent a pure text. Why it should be so revered by modern textual critics is a mystery.

  2. A great amount of carelessness is exhibited in the copying and correction. "Codex Sinaiticus 'abounds with errors of the eye and pen to an extent not indeed unparalleled, but happily rather unusual in documents of first-rate importance.' On many occasions 10, 20, 30, 40 words are dropped through very carelessness. Letters and words, even whole sentences, are frequently written twice over, or begun and immediately cancelled; while that gross blunder, whereby a clause is omitted because it happens to end in the same words as the clause preceding, occurs no less than 115 times in the New Testament." (John Burgon, The Revision Revised)It is clear that the scribes who copied the Codex Sinaiticus were not faithful men of God who treated the Scriptures with utmost reverence. The total number of words omitted in the Sinaiticus in the Gospels alone is 3,455 compared with the Greek Received Text (Burgon, p. 75).

  3. Mark 16:9-20 is omitted in the Codex Sinaiticus, but it was originally there and has been erased.
  4. Codex Sinaiticus includes the apocryphal books (Esdras, Tobit, Judith, I and IV Maccabees, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus) plus two heretical writings, the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas. The apocryphal Epistle of Barnabas is filled with heresies and fanciful allegorizing, claiming, for example, that Abraham knew Greek and baptism is necessary for salvation. The Shepherd of Hermas is a gnostic writing that presents the heresy that the "Christ Spirit" came upon Jesus at his baptism.

  5. Lastly, Codex Sinaiticus (along with Codex Vaticanus), exhibits clear gnostic influence. In John 1:18 "the only begotten Son" is changed to "the only begotten God," thus perpetuating the ancient Arian heresy that disassociates the Son Jesus Christ with God Himself by breaking the clear connection between "God" of John 1:1 with "the Son" of John 1:18. We know that God was not begotten; it was the Son who was begotten in the incarnation.


About the Textus Receptus
  • Textus Receptus is based on the vast majority (over 95%) of the 5,300+ Greek manuscripts in existence. That is why it is also called the Majority Text.

  • Textus Receptus is not mutilated with deletions, additions and amendments, as is the Minority Text.

  • Textus Receptus agrees with the earliest versions of the Bible: Peshitta (AD150) Old Latin Vulgate (AD157), the Italic Bible (AD157) etc. These Bibles were produced some 200 years before the Minority Texts (like Vatican and Sinai) favored by the Roman Catholic Church.

  • Textus Receptus agrees wih the vast majority of the 86,000+ citations from scripture by the early church fathers.

  • Textus Receptus is untainted with Egyptian philosophy and unbelief.

  • Textus Receptus strongly upholds the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith: the creation account in Genesis, the divinity of Jesus Christ, the virgin birth, the Saviour's miracles, his bodily resurrection, his literal return and the cleansing power of his blood!

  • Textus Receptus was (and still is) the enemy of the Roman Catholic Church. This is an important fact to bear in mind.


Anyway, I would welcome any comments or discussion on this. . .

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl, great to see your new blog. Now we can be blogging buddies!!

    Well, I think you know where I stand on this issue. I do agree with you that using another version will not send you to hell. It is not your Bible that saves you, but Jesus Christ. But, I also believe that the King James IS accurate, not just the most accurate. I do not think we need the greek to have a better understanding of our Bible, I believe GOD gave us everything He wanted us to have in one book, without needing another text to translate it for us.

    Well anyways, love the new blog. Keep it up.

    Your Ezer kenegdo friend :D Flynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Flynn,
    I know. I love blogspot!! It's so much easier to understand and use then Wordpress.
    As for the Bible version issue, I probably didn't phrase that right. I believe that the KJV contains no errors. I believe it is the inspired word of God, correctly translated. Grant it, I think that any time you translate from one language to another; it may be helpful to go back to the original language to understand the meaning more. For instance, when Jesus asks Peter like three times, "lovest thou me more than these." It's a different kind of love each time, which kind of clears it up and helps me understand it more.
    Anyway, there are a lot of my good Christian brothers and sisters on both sides of this issue. I love input.
    Hey, I actually just started reading that Ezer kenegdo book so now I know what that whole Ezer kenegdo thing is all about. :D
    Take care, TTYL
    Joanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty sure that was just a mistake...
    On the greek issue, I still think it is not necessary for understanding our Bible, but I won't hold it against you... :D
    So what do you think about the book? Kinda strange huh? hehe
    Hope to see you friday!!!
    Ezer kenegdo...

    ReplyDelete