About Me

My photo
Montana, United States
Welcome to my blog! This is where I kind of ramble and try to say something of use every now and again. A little bit about myself. I'm a Christian. God is the most important thing to me. I believe in His son Jesus Christ. I was born and raised in Montana. I count my blessings. Growing up in a family of 10, milking goats, plowing gardens, hiking mountains. .. good times I like broadcasting (currently I work at a radio station). I'm interested in photography, sign language, music (I play piano and guitar), film-making, and crazy adventures. I thank God every day for my family and friends!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

To Argue or Not to Argue

Hi everyone!
Hmm, not really sure what prompted this post, but probably a variety of different things. I have found myself in many discussions lately. They just seem to happen. A lot of people these days have a "no-opinion" attitude--they say that this is Christlike. Anyway, it kind of made me think what is the right way to argue things. Is it ever right to argue? What does arguing mean anyway? I looked up the definition for arguing in the dictionary and got a variety of things--including to give reasons for or against things, to contend or disagree in words, to give evidence of, to consider the pros and cons of. . . I don't think any of these are necessarily bad if done in the right context.
So I went to the scriptures for some advice. . .
First of all, you shouldn't argue with a fool, who you have no hope of reasoning with. Proverbs 26:4, "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." There is a time to argue with a fool though as it says in the next verse, "Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." I think that the only way we can know what to do in such a circumstance is to listen to the Holy Spirit. As it says in Ecclesiastes. . . "A time to keep silence, and a time to speak. . ."
There is a benefit in good discussions though. Proverbs 1:5, "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shal attain unto wise counsels." Every person needs wise counselers.
One of my pet peeves is when people turn a discussion into a fight, because they simply cannot defend their believes. This is wrong. We should be ready always to give an answer. (1 Pet. 3:15). and be able to act like adults. 1 Cor 14:20, "Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men." There is a way to say things. . . "speaking the truth in love." (Eph 4:15).
Just remember above all, that God is the only one who understands all things and is right. "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death." When I discuss things, I keep an open mind; this does not mean that I'm "carried about with every doctrine," though. I try to take everything with a grain of salt.
Anyway, I would welcome any discussion on this matter :D

2 comments:

  1. You have a lot of good points in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a difference between arguing and fighting, of course, I think that debating/arguing is fine, as long as it's for the gaining of knowledge and not personal bashing, or anything like that. I also have a problem with people getting angry when you are trying to make your point, and stuff...

    ReplyDelete